Happy Anniversary to Me
Author James Clear says, “ Many rewards in life will elude you if you’re not willing to be a little uncomfortable at first.” For the majority of my adult career, I have worked with leaders to help them be excellent ones. And through a variety of different career roles, I have continued that work.
Five years ago today, I hung my own shingle, MWS Executive Coaching. As excited as I was, I will admit, I was a bit nervous. Not because I didn’t think I was ready. I was. The nervousness came from having never embarked on an endeavor such as this. For more than 35 years, I had the safety and security of the companies I had worked with. I had the support, camaraderie, and I was part of a team. And now, it was just me.
But I jumped in with both feet and have never looked back. I am a business owner. There is a deep level of pride in that for me. Someone said to me last week, “you give work ethic a new meaning.”
So, here are some of the lessons I have learned or that have been reinforced along the way in the past five years, (in no particular order):
- Relationships are everything
- Do the very best work you can do, no corner cutting, no easy route
- Challenge yourself … often
- Be available, even when sometimes it isn’t always convenient
- Be responsive. Get back to people as quickly as you can… they reached out because they need you
- Enjoy what you do so much that it doesn’t feel like work
- Cherish your bookkeeper and your IT person and tell them often how much you value them
- Have fun!
- Pray and be grateful every day
- Take time to pause … life goes fast
I know there will be many more lessons and for however many more years I will be in this playground, I know that I will enjoy it to the fullest, continuing to learn and grow.
Happy Anniversary to me!! Here’s to the next however many! I am blessed and grateful to so many of you.